Tuesday, July 12, 2011

5 Guys and Trucker Hat


Well in my last blog I promised to tell a little more about were I work because everybody is dieing to know about it.  I mean I understand the suspense you have been feeling just waiting for this blog to come out. But don’t worry the wait is over, you can stop holding your breath, because I am here to tell you about it in such a way that you feel like you were actually there.  And I will be doing that by involving all of your senses and to help you feel what I feel as I enter that glass door. Which by the way I have to clean like 400 times a day because were not allowed to have finger prints on it and if you come in and touch that door be prepared to feel that glass door against you face. Because I will throw it against the door then drag your face across the door so that it makes that weird squeaky noise and your spit leaves a trail, but that’s not all I will then make you clean it up with the windex and towel. So buddie don’t touch that door.
Now if you are coming to work with me you will need to were the right outfit. You will have a Ketchup red shirt with jeans and a trucker looking red hat that has the company’s logo on it.  And the best part the hair net I love that thing.  I am going to start wearing them to school and around town I fact I love it so much I may never take it off.  JK I hate it.  Now the moment you enter the door your not going to touch you will have a smell of burgers and fries hit your nose.  This is not the good bbq smell that you smell on Sunday afternoon during the summer. No this is the smell is different because it is mingled with an over powering smell of grease.  But we will get back to the grease latter.
Your ears will hear music that is from the 50, 60, 70, 80, but if you work there long enough you will realizes there that its just the same playlist over and over again and you will start to sing along.  Yaya got to love memorizing new or well old songs. You will also here the clatter. Now this sound I actually like.   You here the register girls call orders back to the kitchen, you hear patties sizzling on the grill and the clanging off fries baskets be pulled out off the grease, there is that grease again.  You here shuffling of people running this way and that as they empty trash bins, wash dishes, fill the dressing table or putting on fresh gloves. You will hear the dressing people calling out the buns they need and the tops fpr that particular sandwich.  This clatter mixed with the clatter of the costumers buying and talking and the noise of the orders being called out “order number 55 is now READY!!!” makes for a very lively place. I like it.
Now you will head to the back and enter through the door the reads employees only, lucky u its going to be like a back stage pass to one of your favorite concerts, be excited for what lays ahead.  The first thing you will do is put on you red apron that way you wont rouen that amazingly hot red t-shirt.  And you will be greeted by all your fellow employees.  Since working here I have been called baby, sweet heart, hon, and dear more then 30 times a day and that is no exaggeration.  I work with so many kinds of people here and that happens to be my favorite part of working here. But we will talk about the people latter Now depending on the time of day you come in depends on what you do.  If its morning you began prepping for the day, if it’s the latter shift you just jump into the line.  Now the line is where people orders are made.  It is the kitchen of the restraint and its up on a stage so that people can watch their food get made. Depending on what station you have been trained to do is what you do.  I am a dresser so you can stand by me and I will show you haw it goes.  When a person comes through the door you place a bun on a grill that way it will be nice a toasty for them.  This is called working the bun grill.  This is the slowes part of the line so you have to be on the ball it is all so the hottest.  When I work this I sweat so bad that I can feel the sweat run down my back.  You have to make sure the buns are golden brown not black or cold but just write.  I have found that I know get excited when my buns our perfect and I show the other bun people and we have a little victory moment congratulating each other on such a nice looking bun.  When this happens you know work is what you do with most of your time. Now if you work what we call the bottom bun you grab the ticket tell the top bun person what condiments go on that bun and tell the bun person how many buns you need. Together as a team you crank out a couple thousand dressed buns ready for the patties on a Friday night.  O also you try doing that as fast as you can.  Its like a giant racing game, but don’t feel over whelmed. You will get it.  I mean look at me I was slow once, but now I am like queen fast dresser.  I mean you will never be as good as I am but you will be close.
Now for the people, I have to say that during training I manly just people watched.  You have your single moms, you college kids, your high schoolers, your lazy people, your people who take way to much pride in this job, you have hot guys, geeky guys, annoying guys ,old guys, you have party girls, and sweet girls, old girls, you have white, black, mexican, and asian, you have your pains in the butt, and those how work hard, and then there are there is the boss and managers like I said a lot  of different kind of people. And I get  to be friends with them all. 
So I have shown you hearing, sight, smell, now there is just feeling and tast.  See for feeling your hands will began to hurt because they will become dry from all the washing and the gloves that you have to wear.  Your feet will hurt form standing one them and your no slick shoes may give you blisters if there new shoes. 
Then there is taste and the only thing you taste will be that juicy burger.  In every bit you get the perfect amount of mayo, lettuce, tomatoes, ketchup, mustard, and whatever else you got one it.  The fries will be perfect not to crunchy not to mushy. And you will think to yourself this is amazing But enjoy it while you can, because in three days just looking at a burger will cause you to throw up.  And fries o you don’t even think about those puppies.
So now that you know why i am wearing this trucker hat, can I take your order? And would you like a drank and fries with that?

Signing Off
Blinking Lightbulb

No comments: